The Science Based Targets Initiative (SBTi) & the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are the core platforms for the planning, design, implementation, and reporting of NICC’s mission for tribal and indigenous community carbon offset development and brokerage in the voluntary carbon market. These platforms help NICC to focus not only on the carbon and decarbonization objectives, but also the co-benefits derived from a holistic systems approach to climate action. This approach walks hand-in-hand with community and biodiversity resilience, and ultimately cultural security and sovereignty.
SBTi and SDGs are also used as the vetting process for determining the integrity of corporate and/or foundational buyers on the ‘demand side’ for tribal offsets. NICC’s priority is to identify and partner with high integrity buyers who have not only publicly committed to their own SBTi and SDG, but have proven such through their commitment and documented progress on those commitments.
United Nations Global Compact
The UN Global Compact (UNGC) was officially launched in July of 2000. Twenty years on the challenges we face continue to strengthen, as do the SDGs as the leading framework for guiding ‘capitalism with a conscience,’ from local to global.
The National Indian Carbon Coalition is committed to integrating the SDGs in every aspect of its operations, as well as a core platform for tribal stakeholders on the ‘supply side’ of the carbon offset market, but especially as the core vetting filter for the ‘demand side’ buyers of tribal offsets. Buyers have to prove that they are committed to improving performance around SDG goals and sub-metrics that are ‘material’ to their business success.
The 10 Principles
- Support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights.
- Not be complicit in human rights abuses.
- Uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining.
- Support the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labor.
- Support the effective abolition of child labor.
- Support the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges.
- Undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility.
- Encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.